On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 01:07:01PM -0600, K Hinze wrote:

> > > NSP/excel is asking their desk-workers to turn off their lights at their
> > > cubes.
> > >
> > > I dont work there tho :)
> >
> > Yeah, up here in the northlands, I just heard the Stearns County power
> > company begging people to turn off lights, etc. between 5 and 9
> > tonight, which is when they anticipate peak demand.
> >
> > > /me waits for the blackout. :)
> >
> > /me is glad that everything meanigful at home is UPSed.
> Wind Energy - the fastest growing alternative power supply. Here in MN we
> have almost 2% wind energy, which by 2015 (?) must be more than 15% as
> mandated to Xcel by MN legislature.
> Here in MN we have the wind energy potential to power our state 13x over.
> No More Blackouts!

But we don't have the storage technology to store that power for high
power usage days when the wind isn't in blowing very hard.  Like right
now when the temp is 93 at MSP, but the wind is only 5 mph.

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |    http://freesklyarov.org/