On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:23:07 -0500
"Perry Hoekstra" <dutchman at uswest.net> wrote:

> I am trying to put together a new PC.  Spencer helped me with the
> thermal compound and CPU.  Now my problem is no go.

Can you be more specific than 'no go'? To some, no-go means absolutely no
response from the power button, to others, it means that the supply, board
fans, lights etc come up, but the machine fails to POST.

If it is totally unresponsive to the power button, the first things that
come to mind are:

1) You don't have the cord plugged in to a hot outlet.
2) The power switch on the rear of ATX supply is in the OFF position.
3) The power button on the case is mis-connected to the motherboard power
(PWR) header.
4) The power supply is defective.

If you get fans, etc, but no POST or any beeps at all:

1) CPU is bad, or inserted wrong
2) RAM is bad, or the wrong spec (note: you need Micron or other
brand-name RAM for an ABIT board, the generic M-tec parts from GNS will
*not* work.)
3) Softmenu III settings in CMOS are not appropriate to the installed CPU
or RAM. Operate the CMOS clear jumper per the manual, to reset the CMOS
configuration.

You didn't crack the CPU wafer when you were installing the fan, did you?
;)

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-