On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 06:58:40PM -0500, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> From: "Perry Hoekstra" <dutchman at uswest.net>
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: [TCLUG] CPU and Fan
> Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:58:40 -0500
>
> Quick question for a Sunday,
>
> I am putting together a PC and this is the first one where the CPU and
> fan did not come as a single unit.  The CPU is an Athlon 1.4 GHz and the
> fan instructions are non-existant.  Does the thermal compound go on the
> little square located on the CPU?

The little square on the cpu is the silicon wafer that the circuits live on. This is
where you want the grease. Make sure to put the fan on 'evenly' so it dissipates the
heat properly.
>  Second question, the fans are
> actually two fans and the board has two inserts for fans.  However, I
> have read where the fans should not draw power from the board but from
> the power supply itself.  Can I have the fans run from the board or do I
>   hook it directly into the power supply?

As long as you have a 300w powersupply it shouldn't make a difference. I usually
use the on board power for fans. Maybe there is a reason not too, but I like to save the molex connectors for other devices.