(r) Read
(w) Write
(x) Execute

      (r) (w) (x)
Owner 400 200 100 700
Group 040 020 010 070
World 004 002 001 007
      444 222 111 777

If your having problems editing stuff in your home directory
chown -r user:user ~user
should get things back to normal. Just don't do anything like
chown -r user:user ~user/.*
in an attempt to change permissions on your dot files. Heh...whoops :)

If you do own the file (ls -l file) you may just need to chage the
permissions (see table) chmod 600 file will give you read/write access to
the file and no access for grop or world.

As for needing root as a normal user, I use sudo. In /etc/sudoers i look
like: luser ALL= NOPASSWD: ALL (I put the no password in cause I'm lazy.)

sudo is a great tool for programs that need root access. Like me, I'm too
lazy to get cd burning as a non root user and my brother wants to burn
cd's:

User_Alias BURNERS = luser0, luser1, luser2
Cmnd_Alias CDBURN = /usr/bin/xcdroast, /usr/bin/cdrecord,
/usr/bin/mkisofs, /usr/bin/cdparanoia, /usr/bin/gcombust,
/usr/bin/gtoaster
BURNERS ALL = NOPASSWD: CDBURN

With that, luser0, luser2, and luser3 can run sudo gtoaster and burn a cd.
They don't even have to enter a password. 9With sudo, you enter your
password not roots)

I'm sure others have better ideas, but that's what I do on my home
machine.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward