Can anyone point me in the direction of some good documentation for
permissions in linux? I have been logging in as a user account I created and
have been having some problems not being able to do things that require root
access (some things I need to log off and back on as root to do, "su" isn't
enough), I ended up making my regular account "root" level this morning (by
setting the number to 0 in /etc/passwd), which probably wasn't the wisest
thing to do, and at this point I think I may start doing more harm than
good.

Consequently the some things I am talking about are things like editing
files in my own "home" directory (I installed kylix and wrote a small
program that I compiled as my normal user saved in my local directory. Of
course I need to be in as root to run it:->). Even as a normal user I should
be able to uninstall things I have added, edit my own files etc... shouldn't
I?

Doug