On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Scott Dier wrote:

> * Phil Mendelsohn <mend0070 at tc.umn.edu> [010429 08:41]:
> > The trouble is in the formulation itself.  Crudely, there's not enough
> > glue to keep the oxide particles in the tape, so you get very high
>
> Ok, so you somehow say 4mm vs 8mm acutally makes a difference still,
> what gives?

What I said, or tried to, is that 4mm large particle metal oxide tape has
had big trouble, regardless of whether it is data, video, dig. audio,
whatever.  Before the tape gets put into the drive, the media itself is
more trouble and less robust.

> If I really cared, I would be using DLT.  But then I would have more
> money to blow.

Well, there's the thing.  Like the guys at the SteelEye meeting pointed
out, how reliable can you afford to be?

> I've got an install for a customer with 1 yr or so of service with dds3.
> Havent had anything weird happen.

I either specifically said that there would be good and bad anecdotal
evidence with <any> type of media, or it was *not* said that I was
inferring that 4mm would fail every time.  I'm not even saying that 4mm
shouldn't be used, just that you need to be aware that it stores worse and
make redundant backups in sufficient quantity sufficiently often to
guarantee that you're meeting your backup objectives.

> But still, if your paranoid, you use DLT right now.

Seems so.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous