* Phil Mendelsohn <mend0070 at tc.umn.edu> [010429 08:41]:
> The trouble is in the formulation itself.  Crudely, there's not enough
> glue to keep the oxide particles in the tape, so you get very high

Ok, so you somehow say 4mm vs 8mm acutally makes a difference still,
what gives?

If I really cared, I would be using DLT.  But then I would have more
money to blow.

Our DLT systems have consistently rocked.  I've only seen about one tape
have a 'fatal' problem out of about at least 120 over the past two
years.  I think ive only seen a DLT drive die after 2-3 years of
service.

I've got an install for a customer with 1 yr or so of service with dds3.
Havent had anything weird happen.

But still, if your paranoid, you use DLT right now.
--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

So little time, so little to do.	-- Oscar Levant