I wasn't following the earlier "Loki" posts very carefully. So they're
Linux-only ports, right (as opposed to Windoze)? I've never run 3D games
under X but am anxious to give it a shot. Where is that sign-up sheet
again? I'm interested in Tribes2 and DeusEx (when are they gonna port The
Sims?).

With all this recent interest in Linux games, maybe we should have a LAN
frag-fest! Multi-Mayhem (multi-mayhem.com) is just around the corner, but
that costs money and only supports Windoze. We could be the free Linux
alternative and maybe woo others in to switching OS. It would be a nice
break from the all-work-and-no-play InstallFests. As for joysticks, see my
comments below.

>From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com>
>
>I'm thinking about getting a joystick for my computer, because:
>a. it might be cool if I ever get around to playing FPS games

Use an _optical_ mouse and keyboard for traditional FPS (such as Quake).
For vehicle FPS like combat flight/tank sims, a stick w/ throttle would be
ideal (if you can afford the desk space and cost).

>b. they look kind of cool and make you appear to be a much harder-core
>computer user (to many people).

Or at least a hard-core slacker to the higher-ups.

>c. I'm noticing a decided lack of doodads, gimcracks, & gewgaws attached to
>my computer.

This is the 8th deadly sin.

>d. I haven't ever owned one before.

And I thought you were cool. ;-)

>so what do people like, for jostick models out there? I'm pretty picky about
>how ergonomic the button layout is; and it better work *completely* under
>linux; but I have virtually no experience with them.
>what are people's advices about joysticks?

For a flight stick/throttle go with a Saitek X36 ($100). For an all purpose
joystick, nothing beats a Logitech WingMan ($40-70 depending on whether or
not you want FF).

I have a WingMan 3D Force, but have only used it for XMAME (x.mame.net) in
Linux. It works great for modern Windoze games with force-feedback (FF).
However, I suspect that Linux FF support is very limited.

-Dileep