brady <bradyh at bitstream.net> writes:

> I hope I can get connected tomorrow.  I have a machine that's been
> sitting asking for disk 2 of the Redhat 7.1 install for the last
> couple of days while I get "too many users of your type..."

I've got the 7.1 ISOs here -- I could burn you a CD if you want to
come by and grab it.  It was amusing, in a macabre sort of way -- I
grabbed the Mandrake 8 ISOs from a site in Sweden and got better than
90KB/s throughput on both transfers, but I got 20KB/s getting the
Redhat 7.1 ISOs from a machine in the same city.  (So precisely 20KB/s
that I suspect rate-limiting :-) )

I just tried Winzip on one of the 7.1 ISOs; it cut 100MB off it.
Presumably gzip or bzip2 would do even better especially with the
right options.  Given the download crunches, might it not be sensible
to make them available for download that way?

> I want to say that I really appreciate you guys providing such a great
> service.  And once I get the disk 2 iso I'll especially appreciate it.
> ;-)
>
> Hey does anybody know why someone would be trying to log onto my
> machine with the userid "bogusbogus"?  I'm guessing they were checking
> to see if my machine had been cracked by somebody (or a kit) that
> created an user with that name.  Does that sound right?

That sounds plausible, but I don't follow exploits closely enough to
actually recognize it.  I take it this happens often?  If it's pretty
rarely, it could also be somebody picking you at semi-random (I often
use friend's machines for this sort of thing) to test connectivity by
starting a connection that I never intended to complete.  I sometimes
send email that I *want* to bounce to see what the bounce message
looks like, for example, and it goes to usernames like "bounceme".
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/