On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Peter Clark wrote:

>    I am in the process of slowly putting together my owm box. Right
> now, I am waiting for my tax returns :) so that I have some spending
> $$$ to build the box I've always wanted. But in the meantime, I would
> like to ask a few questions.
>    1. What would you recommend for a motherboard? I want to get an
> Athlon 1000, so that narrows down things fast. Furthermore, I recall
> hearing something last week about a bug with Abit? motherboards. OR was
> it just the VIA chipset? I don't know, but I would like to avoid this
> if possible.

For motherboard get an ASUS. Right now I would not go with VIA. AMD is
more stable chipset.

>    2. Same question regarding video cards. I don't need top of the
> line...32 MB mem is fine. I'm not looking for 300 FPS in Quake 3,
> either. I just want a card that is easily detectable under Linux,
> commonly available, and won't cause grief because of buggy drivers.

NVIDIA has problems with binary-only closed drivers. Ati has problems with
crappy boards. Matrox boards are good but weak at 3D. Your pick.

>    3. Any spots for buying keyboards and mice? Other than Best Buy and
> CompUSA? I've gone over their inventory and haven't found much that I
> like. A keyboard/mouse warehouse would be nice. :)

I am very happy with Microsoft Hardware products. Get a M$ Natural
Keyboard and a Intellimouse and you'll be happy.

>    4. Where can I get some cool computer badges? (Those are the little
> 1x1 plastic-covered stickers that go on the front of a computer.) I
> googled and found a couple of companies, but most are either overseas
> or only sell in bulk. A badge with Tux would be a step in the right
> direction, I think.

>    5. Oh, yes, my price range for the system is going to be $800-$900,
> excluding monitor. (I'll deal with that later--for now, I've got an
> older one that will do.)

Try to get CPU + Mobo + RAM from the same place. They will usually test
that they work and that they work together saving you a roundtrip... and
also save on shipping.

florin