Don't be so hard on yourself.  I know this is OT but, we may
be looking for some guys/gals where I work.  I will talk to
the MIS manager (my primary boss) and the VP of Engineering
(my secondary boss) and see if they are looking to hire any
interns for the summer.  Are your friends looking for
software or hardware jobs?  I can post to the group just in
case anyone else has friends looking for work, unless
someone has strong objections, or I can contact you off
line.  Either way maybe I can help someone out.

SG, O.S.D.

P.S. Yes, I work for both the IS/IT and Engineering
departments about %50 each, so I have contacts in both
departments.  Great job, whenever I get sick of IS I can go
play EMC Engineer for a week or two. ;-)