I used to come to tclug meetings and hang out on this list before I
moved out here to Oregon.

Since moving out here, I've gotten involved with this interesting
project where we take people's old junky computers, sort through them,
and assemble useful boxes. Then we install them with Linux and some
simple applications (word processer, browser, etc.) and give them away
to people who need computers. The people who adopt the computers earn
the box by volunteering in the process, so there's an educational
component as well. What we don't use gets pulled into components and
recycled, so there's an environmental component in the mix too.

More info at: http://www.freegeek.org

This has been a very successful project out here. We've got a waiting
list of ~200 people who want to volunteer. (Many of them don't even want
a box in exchange.) We've recycled >17 tons of stuff. And we've given
away hundreds of boxes since September when we opened. We've also made
plenty of mistakes, and have worked like crazy on the whole idea.

I'm going to be back in Mpls/St Paul from May 3-17 visiting friends, and
I wondered is anyone at TCLUG interested in getting together for an
informal chat about the project?

--
Richard Seymour : Anarchy Software, Inc.