On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 08:04:20PM -0500, Jay W. Anderson wrote:
>  o   What is the proper way to do a dist-upgrade?

<edit /etc/apt/sources.list>
apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade

>  o   How much of potato needs to be installed, i.e. when do I break
> out of the install & do a dist-upgrade?

I usually go through the installation process until it runs dselect, then
quit from dselect immediately without installing anything there and let it
finish normally.  Then I log in as root, edit sources.list, apt-get update,
and restart dselect to find all the packages I want to install.

>  o   From rtfm the info on debian.org it looks like I need to do a
> update, then dist-upgrade, then ???

That's it, really.

>  o   Do I need to edit the apt sources list to say woody instead of
> stable or does the dist upgrade understand that is what I want to do?

Yes, you have to edit sources.list.  dist-upgrade basically means "make
everything current, even if you have to add some new packages or remove old
ones in the process"; sources.list determines what apt thinks is current.

As a side note, I prefer to use distro status (testing/stable) instead of
name (woody/potato) in sources.list.  YMMV, of course.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+