On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:10:18 -0500 (CDT)
"Jamie Ostrowski" <jamie at getsetnet.net> wrote:

One
> of the major stumbling blocks of making my system look old is the cdrom
> drive. The plastic tray that slides out just wont have the same effect
> hence my search for a cdrom that loads without the tray.

A couple of ideas on this...

1) General Nano (or was it Tran?) offers a slot-loading DVD rom drive for about $100 or so last time I checked. Very up-to-date, and covers the slot-load aspect.

2) What prevents us from attaching a larger (metal?) plate to the front of a conventional CD-ROM drawer, adding some faux hardware, a name plaque, and making it a stylistic element of the machine? If we used a conventional mounting technique, the plate could be large enough to cover the *entire* front of the CD-ROM drive... Made from thin aluminium, the weight will be negligable. The buttons to open / play the CD are just switches, they can be covered or removed, and their connections broken out to some momentary toggles or rocker switches on the front panel. I even have a good friend with a Bridgeport mill, who could probably machine a replacement drawer front cover (have you ever noticed that those covers can be removed? It's necessary to the design of the tray & front panel to have them removable...)

Heh.. heh heh... heh heh heh... :)

Bill