Okay, here's a question.  Samba 2.2 allows connections for Win2k.  I was
thinking about this for a while, and our network isn't that much
different from Liz's.  It's a Windows domain running NT4.0, Win2k,
95/98.  The pdc's are NT 4.0 while all of the Win2k boxes are either
disktops or secondary servers.  With a large number of Unix (HP, AIX,
Sun, DEC but no real BSD boxes that I'm aware of) boxes.

We had some problems getting the Win2k machines to connect to Samba
shares, but we figured it out.  We're running 2.07 and our Win2k boxes
can connect with no problem.

Or is it that you're running a *nix network with Win2k boxes connecting
into it?