Jamie syays something like:

 One
> of the major stumbling blocks of making my system look old
> is the cdrom
> drive. The plastic tray that slides out just wont have the
> same effect
> hence my search for a cdrom that loads without the tray.

Brian replies:

They make generic trayless IDE CD drives.  I used to see
them
at Best Buy all the time.  They were slightly more expensive
than a standard CD with the tray, but they were 100% ATAPI
compliant clones.  I'd try Compusa/Micro Center and see if
you can find one.  I was looking for one a few years ago and
had no trouble finding them all over the place.