Does anyone have any thoughts on the worthwhileness of
upgrading cpu on Shuttle HOT 661/P mainboard
from 400MHz to 600MHz?
	(661/P is about 2 years old -- no longer in production)
I guess the big question is:  Is it going to go unstable on me
if I try to put 600 on it?  Is it worth the risk?
If it isn't risky, is it worth the money, ie, will I get the
performance I'm looking for?

General Nanosystems said it wouldn't be wise to go above
600MHz if the version was below 3.2 (32?)
So, I'm at 400MHz now.
The version number on the board looks like "661v11"
bought it in November of '98

The "inspiration" for this is that I've got Forte for Java (Linux)
installed ... but it sure is sluggish!
(As an example of another large application, the Oracle8i works just
fine.)  Oddly enough, I've got RedHat 6.0 installed with the JDK and JRE
upgraded to 1.3 and yet Forte still loads alright... it's just sluggish.

Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?  (It's the predictable story;
I'd get a new machine, but I ain't got the bucks.)

gs