On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Jay W. Anderson wrote:

> On 14 Apr 01, at 16:17, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Jay W. Anderson wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to do my 1st debian install as a network install of woody.
>
> > What debian server are you using?
> http.us.debian.org
>  Have you pinged *that*?
> I've surfed it!

Um, I'm not saying you haven't, but there is a difference between
http.us.debian.org and www.debian.org.  But, more importantly, I have had
times when http.us.debian.org has been like a stuck pig, but
ftp.us.debian.org (usually ftp://ftp.us.debian.org) has worked.

> > Are you choosing ftp install, or what?
> The only options on this installer are cdrom, network, already
> mounted & nfs. The help/readme says that the only network protocol
> currently supported is http. This is a different setup program than
> what I remember when I tried to install potato a while ago. It now
> claims that woody is the stable release. The disc images have a
> creation date of 4/1302001 ~23:00.

That's weird.  I've seen nothing that says woody's stable.  www.debian.org
says (still) that the latest release is 2.2r2 (potato)  released
5-Dec-2000.

Since you apparently have the bandwith to  do net install, could you
either do it in pieces or by ISO?  Or you could go get the potato
installer, install that, then upgrade to woody.  Not quicker, I know.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous