>And what might that hack be?  Why did you do it?
Because it was a possibility.

 >make mrproper (to clear out all those old bad
 >compiles)
 >make menuconfig (to do as much damage as you can)
 >make dep (it says so right when you are done with
 >menuconfig)
 >make bzImage (the boot kernel, you can find it under
 >../arch/<arch>/bzImage you have to copy it to
 >/boot/vmlinuz.<kernel version> and configure lilo
 >make modules (to create all the modules)
 >make modules_install (to install the modules)

Well seeing as how the kernel has yet to boot I will attempt to do it in
another sequence. I did not do mrproper (I will next). I did the bzImage
after make modules (I spaced it) and I forgot the uderscore for make
modules install (it still processed info). I did do all of this as su,
however.

So I suppose I will continue to hack away at the kernel and my laptop
and the coffee table and the sofa and the ........

-Spencer Underground