> > >Such as royalty free encoding/decoding? I think that's a good reason.
> > When was the last time you paid a royalty.
> >

> You're missing the point.

I don't think he is, I think he's merely disagreeing on the point.
I also think that many people say they are motivated by one thing (free
speech) while in fact they are really motivated by another (free beer).

> That's exactly the attitude that will make Ogg Vorbis fail. And we all
> lose if it fails. It should be our responisibility to do as much as we
> can to help Ogg and any other open standard succeed. Come-on Ben, get
> with it. You're beginning to sound like a Microsoftie. Me, Me, Me.

No, he's pointing out what motivates much of the market, and...

> And if you would do a little research you'd figure out that a lot of
> apps do support Ogg, and many more will in the future. The more it's
> used, the faster it will be accepted as a standard.

How many pieces of hardware?
as in car players, little flash-memory ones, PDAs with both MP3 and
Ogg decoders, etc?

> Where would Linux be if everyone said "Give me some stuff that uses
> Linux and I'll switch"?

What's realistic is to recognize that there's a balance between being
evangelistic and choosing what is practically usable. If you have a strong
desire for a small device that plays digitized music, and can hold as much
of it as possible, the only choice right now is mp3. If that's important
to me, then sorry, I'm gonna fill my hard drives up with mp3s, not Oggs
(or whatever). If in the meantime I can write and encourage mfrs to
support open formats, then I will, but I'm not inclined to do without
while I wait for it to happen.

Andy