On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Austad, Jay wrote:

> Ok, sometimes when I put a bad CD into my cdrom drive, I get syslog messages
> that say "hdd: status timeout: status=oxc0 { Busy }"  and a bunch of hdd:
> ATAPI reset complete errors.  I can't eject the disc, or read it.  If I
> reboot the machine it's fine, but that sucks.  Is there anyway to reset the
> cdrom drive without rebooting?

I have had this happen, too.  It's not always a bad CD, though.  I don't
know a way around a reboot, if (like yours) it's an IDE controller.  If it
were a SCSI device, you'd have more chance to recover.

You might also take some windex and clean the bottom of the disk with a
soft, lint-free cloth.  (Forget about any hype about disc cleaning
solutions.)  It *may* prevent the hang, or it may convice you that it's
time to get yourself a new CD-ROM.

If you *do* find a way around a reboot, share!  I've got one machine
that's flaky that way.  Unfortunately it gets light enough use and works
enough of the time that I am still using the flaky device.

Cheers,
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous