> I fail to see how it could be cost effective. Wouldn't it be cheaper for and
> easier for real-time to provide the pipe and the rack space for a few dozen
> SMP intel boxes all setup with virtual domains. I think the luggers would save
> money by doing it this way.

it's all a question of scalability. 2 racks will get you a couple dozen
x86 machines; which each might support a good number of virtual machines
(VMWare GSX), or lots of domains hosted there.

that's enough for most people's needs.

but if you want to host a *lot* of actual virtual machines (which some
people really want); and give them all kickass I/O; and share resources
between them (so at any given moment, they have most of the power of the
whole machine available); a mainframe makes sense.

It's a niche machine; we have to admit that. it's just a matter of
determining whether we fit that niche. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises