>>>>> "aj" == Austad, Jay <austad at marketwatch.com> writes:

>> It's called JetCafe.  See http://www.jetcafe.org/ for details.

aj> Ouch, $500 initiation, and $50/month for a 28.8 dialup.  [...]

I wasn't suggesting that y'all *use* their services.  Besides, it's a
co-op, and you'd have to be willing to attend meetings, provide tech
help, etc. to keep the co-op running ... which would mean you'd
probably need to live in LA to become a member.  And I'll bet that
their only modem pool is also in LA.  Same for ATM termination box for
DSL stuff (if they do it), etc.

(I'd be willing to bet no one has bothered updating their service
 pricing in a while.  After all, it's a closely-knit group of folks,
 and all the co-op members probably already know what's current.)

I was citing it as an example of folks who collectively agreed that
ISPs in Los Angeles sucked and that they created one of their own to
serve their needs.  JetCafe has been around for many years, able to
sustain itself with willing co-op members.  YMMV.

At least one JetCafe member I know has one of his machines collocated
in JetCafe's space.  That's the sort of bandwidth sharing, IIRC, was
one of the many topics discussed in this thread and the reason why I
piped up in the first place.  There's nothing to say a group of people
couldn't start an ISP cooperative with the intent of only providing
collocation services.  Just as long as y'all don't fight over who pays
what fraction of the power bills.  :-)

-Scott