On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Austad, Jay wrote:

> I kinda like the idea of wiping out one of my partitions, like /home, and
> installing a debian filesystem on it and just modifying lilo.  Although, I
> don't know if that will work.  Doesn't lilo store the position on the disk
> where the kernel starts?  I can probably get it to work somehow, like
> copying the new kernel to the /boot partition on the redhat box before I run
> lilo.  Once I get it booted I can wipe out the old partitions, and copy my
> /usr and other partitions to the right places, modify my /etc/fstab, and
> reboot with everything new in place.

You *should* be able to do the lilo trick.  If it was me, I'd do that, but
mail out a pre-fab boot floppy (tomsrtbt?  with IP addresses fixed, etc.)
so that you can get back into the machine if you hose the lilo, but then
I'm probably the king of punctuation errors.

Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous