On the distro front my favorite distro is SuSE and the recent version have a
nice graphical install/admin utility. That make it reasonably easy. SuSEs X
configurator (SaX) does a good job of detecting video cards. I just installed
it on a couple of systems in a lab at work. They are gateways with TNT cards
in them (I think) SAX detected the cards and configured for 1024x768 with
little or no effort.

For learning Linux I have one suggestion for a book: A Practical Guide to
Linux. I used this as a textbook for a class I used to teach. Its got a lot
of depth and detail. Marc Sobel, the author, also wrote A Practical Guide to
Unix.

Good Luck,
Jack