On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Florin Iucha wrote:

> > Doesn't RedHat 7 come with XFree4? People should probably NOT be using Red
> > Hat betas... especially newbies.
>
> Yes it does. However I find 7.1beta2 (Wolverine) _MUCH_ more stable than
> 7.0.
>
> > I'd say go with Mandrake. It's supposed to be the most User Friendly of
> > distributions. I recently installed almost all major distros and it did
> > seem to be the easiest one to install if you've never done it before.
>
> Recomended that too :)

Since no one's doing it, I'll be the first to recommend Debian, so that
you can learn on a system that works first, then you can break, I mean
upgrade it, later. ;)

Shoot, I guess now I'm ineligible for the pool as to how long it takes the
new guy to switch to Debian.

No, actually, unless it's a laptop or slightly odd hardware, I'd do Debian
so that its easier to play with installing/deinstalling packages while you
figure out what you really like to use, but I don't say that to start a
distro jihad.

Cheers,
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous