Mandrake and Redhat are sort of the same thing.  Mandrake is based on
Redhat but with some extra stuff tacked on.  Redhat can be a pretty good
distro when starting out because it's the most common one so lots of people
are familiar with it and software/hardware can be easier to get working
with it.

As far as hardware goes check one of the following:

www.linhardware.com
linux.com/hardware

Oh yeah and if you like a windows type interface make sure you install
Gnome and/or KDE when you install your distro.  I love Gnome myself and
version 1.4 just got released today.

Brady