yes.. cisco phones are cool.. they run on the "H.323" protocol.. wich is
one of the better VoIP protocols.. each phone DHCP, or static assigns an
IP address, it contains an id number, and a server IP address (as far as i
know)  I really don't know much about the security of the whole
thing.. which is why i'm trying to get my hands on some equip (talking to
a cisco vendor currently)
nope.. it's all open standard.. from what I can tell.. you could buy
nortel call manager, and cisco phones, and they would all play nicely.  or
atleast basic stuff would work fine.. that's what the goal of VoIP
was.. make it non-proprietary.  the hardware involved is a mostly standard
PC, with addon boards to do things like T1's pots lines, and other such
telco-specific hardware.  oh.. and an ethernet card to connect the IP
based phones.. the cisco phones plug into ethernet, and have a
pass-through port for a PC, (10/100)
and even better.. is no reverse engenieering is necessary.. all the
protocols that are used are open, and there are even GPL implamentations
of most of it.. but the problem i'm running into is this.. there are no
good all-in-one soltions in the GPL community.. each one is doing their
own little bit.. one is doing the BPX core, one is doing the H.323 core,
another is doing some other things.. but no one does voicemail, T1 routing
(for incoming voice T's) and other "normal" phone system features.  but
the NT based call managers are complete in functionality.  luckly i'm not
in desperate need of a system right now.. so i have time (haha.. not
really) to play with this stuff.  maybe in a year.. i'll have the software
together in a nice package, and I can go into business for myself
installing linux based phone systems..

places to read:
http://www.asteriskpbx.com/
http://www.linuxtelephony.org