> Possibly.  Although, I think you might have "compatibility" set to on.
> This forces compatibility with standard vi functionality.  "set
> nocompat" should turn this off and allow you to do syntax hilighting.
>
> The other thing you should check for is whether or not you're really
> running vim or not. ;-)  Debian uses a symlink-spagetti jungle to
> specify default editors, such as 'vi', which can be served by elvis,
> tiny-vi, vim, nvt, etc...  Follow all symlinks to their source binary
> or simply run the --version or appropriate command line option to find
> out what you're running. ;-)

[chrome at localhost:/home/httpd/html/twig/features/mail]$vi --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 5.6 (2000 Jan 16, compiled Mar  7 2000 12:18:07)
Included patches: 1-3, 5-6, 10-11
Compiled by root at porky.devel.redhat.com, with (+) or without (-):
-autocmd -browse +builtin_terms -byte_offset -cindent -cmdline_compl
-cmdline_info -comments -cryptv -cscope -dialog -digraphs -emacs_tags -eval
-ex_extra -extra_search -farsi -file_in_path -osfiletype -find_in_path
+fork()
-GUI -hangul_input -insert_expand -langmap -linebreak -lispindent -menu
-mksession -modify_fname -mouse -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_netterm
-mouse_xterm -multi_byte -perl -quickfix -python -rightleft -scrollbind
-smartindent -sniff -statusline -syntax -tag_binary -tag_old_static
-tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo -textobjects -title -user_commands
-visualextra
-viminfo -wildignore -wildmenu +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "/usr/share/vim/vim56/macros/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation:
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall
Linking: gcc  -o vim         -ltermcap

thanks for the advice.
ok, as I read this information, it has syntax turned off ( -syntax).
but why in the heck would they do that?

argh.
the really annoying thing is that even if I recompile vim so that I have
syntax highlighting, and install it on my machine; other machines might not
(likely won't?) have it. ;(

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer