On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:58:21PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> When I try to turn on syntax highlighing in vim (from RH 6.2), using
> what the manual says (:syntax on); it gives me an error "Sorry, this
> command is not implemented".
>
> was it not compiled with syntax highlighting capability or
> something?

Possibly.  Although, I think you might have "compatibility" set to on.
This forces compatibility with standard vi functionality.  "set
nocompat" should turn this off and allow you to do syntax hilighting.

The other thing you should check for is whether or not you're really
running vim or not. ;-)  Debian uses a symlink-spagetti jungle to
specify default editors, such as 'vi', which can be served by elvis,
tiny-vi, vim, nvt, etc...  Follow all symlinks to their source binary
or simply run the --version or appropriate command line option to find
out what you're running. ;-)

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie