On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:41:27PM -0500, Nick.T.Reinking at supervalu.com wrote:
> Well, that's what VISI charges, also.  $195/month for
> 5U space.  2 2U machines would cost considerably
> more than one full tower on its side. (5U in height).  That config
> is always an option if the business really grows.

I don't believe that was the point.  The point is that you can
purchase a 2U server w/a 1U UPS and still have room to expand later.
You'll save the cost on the second computer until you need it, plus,
as Adam pointed out, you'd have the battery backup to help you out
(though it may be unneeded at VISI).

> Month-to-month costs would run about $400/month with _no_
> business at all, which I can afford out of pocket from just
> extra cash at my current job.

Not bad.

> If the website needs that much power, than I'm okay.  If it doesn't,
> then I'm still okay.  I'm young, and I can take a risk or two.  :)

More power to ya.  Personally, if I would consider talking to an ISP
and ask them about hosting your site.  I know VISI provides database
and PHP access, though it may be MySQL.  Talk to Internet Exposure or
Real Time and find out what they could do for you.  Why place the
burden of hardware and maintenance cost and time investment on to
yourself if someone else will do it for you?

As you yourself admitted, you're young and can take a risk or two.
And in the context of a network, ecommerce business, wouldn't you like
to have a bit of experience in your corner from people who get paid to
maintain networks and servers for a living?  I know I would.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie