Gabe Turner (officer) said:
> Well, they don't exactly serve the same purpose (well, I guess they do, but
> they go about it differently).  MAPS sets up their RBL by investigating
> reports about open relays, whereas ORBS actively searches out open relays.

What's the basis of this statement?  According to www.orbs.org,

      Your server was most likely to have been reported to us
      because someone received junkmail via it and asked us to
      check it.  However, this may not have happened. Someone
      may have just received annoying mail and asked ORBS to test
      the server, some people hunt for open relays to report to
      ORBS and while we wish they wouldn't, it's hard to stop
      them. In any case, we tested your server and found that
      it did indeed have this problem, so we added it to our
      database. Why it was reported isn't really important -
      if it's an open relay, spammers will eventually find and
      abuse it, so it's better to get the server fixed before
      that happens.

Elsewhere on the site, I got the impression that the primary difference is
that MAPS will remove servers when the admin says he's fixing it, while ORBS
waits until they can verify that it actually has been fixed.

In any case, using both is trivial if exim is your MTA.  I couldn't comment
on sendmail or qmail.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+