Well, they don't exactly serve the same purpose (well, I guess they do, but
they go about it differently).  MAPS sets up their RBL by investigating
reports about open relays, whereas ORBS actively searches out open relays.
Because they go about building their RBL differently, many people decide to
use both, or maybe to only block hosts that are in both RBLs.  Personally,
I think that if you want to be _really_ paranoid and you have a lot of spam
problems, then go with both, or maybe just ORBS (at minimum).  If you want
to allow more legit mail through, and you only want to block known
open-relays that hackers actually _use_ (as opposed to blocking every
open-relay in existance), go with MAPS.  As an admin for a fairly
large outfit, I'm sick and tired of seeing ORBS relay attempts in the logs
80 quadrillion times a day.  I guess I'm sort of torn between the philosphy
of ORBS (block 'em before you getted spammed and MAPS (block 'em once you
know you'll get spammed, or have already been spammed).

My $.02,

Gabe

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:54:21AM -0500, Eric Hillman wrote:
> I figured it's about time I got on the stick and did some active open-relay
> blocking.  I'm familiar with both of these services, and am aware that there's
> been some friction between the two in the past, but I'm not exactly sure why.
> Anybody wanna give me a good reason for choosing one over the other?  Should I
> try to use both?  Is there a good third choice?
>

> --
> Eric Hillman
> UNIX Sysadmin/Webmaster
> City & County Credit Union
> ehillman at cccu.com

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more
 derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifiying to man, more repugnant to reason,
 and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity."
							     - Thomas Paine