You need to use textwidth=76 instead.  IIRC, wrapmargin should be the
size of the pad from the _right_ hand side.  So, if you want to wrap at 76
chars, set wrapmargin=4.  This is how the wm=X setting in vi works and my
guess is, it's the same for vim.

Gabe

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 04:44:05PM -0500, Michael Josephson wrote:
> I've been using vim for my programming editor, and I must say, I really
> like it. So I'm also using it as my editor inside of mutt (set
> editor="vim -c 'set nonu' -c 'set wrapmargin=76'". Well, it is with the
> wrapmargin setting that I'm having difficulty. If I specify a wrapmargin,
> and if set wrap is on, then when I'm composing a message, it wraps at every
> word.
>
> Something
> like
> this.
>
> Any vim gurus out there with some ideas?
>
> thanks, mj
> --
> ---------------------------------
>  Michael Josephson
>  Software Developer
>  Navicare Systems, Inc.
>  www.navicare.com
>
>  Email: mjosephson at navicare.com
>         mjj55409 at yahoo.com

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more
 derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifiying to man, more repugnant to reason,
 and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity."
							     - Thomas Paine