Here's the deal, I've got a firewall with a real IP and domain name,
eggplant.mtu.net, forwarding all SMTP traffic to an internal mailserver,
non-routable IP, disk.mn.mtu.net.  If I send messages through my internal
mailserver the messages look like they're from disk.mn.mtu.net and I want them
to look like they're from eggplant.mtu.net because outside mailservers can't
do a lookup on disk.mn.mtu.net, non-routable IP.  I've tried setting
DMeggplant.mtu.net in the sendmail.cf file and that just modifies the message,
not the envelope.  If I tell disk.mn.mtu.net that it's hostname is
eggplant.mtu.net, everything seems to work ok, but I'm thinking that a network
with two machines believing they're the same name is not a good idea.  I don't
really want to regenerate my sendmail.cf from m4 because I'm not sure I can.
Don't know which one I started with 5 years ago, although it might not matter.

Any ideas?  Yes I checked out http://www.sendmail.org and the sendmail docs
and they all talk about regenerating the sendmail.cf through m4.  No I'm not
going to use qmail right now unless someone can point me at explicit
directions, I tend to need them sometimes, at how to set it up so that it
works like a mostly default sendmail config, with the above fix.

--
Jon Schewe | http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe