I don't quite understand what you're saying.  You wouldn't be able to
mount the partition unless it was formatted as ext2 either by you or slack
install.

Here's my quick and dirty slack install instructions.

1) If you have a bootable CD-ROM drive and a bootable Slack image,
boot from the CD and skip to step 3

2) Create the boot and root disks.  In Win/DOS put the slack CD in and run
rawrite.exe (it's on the CD in one of those directories) with 2 different
floppies, once each for color.gz and bare.i:

rawrite.exe a: d:\bootdsks.144\bare.i
rawrite.exe a: d:\rootdsks\color.gz

(I don't know for sure that that's the proper syntax for rawrite, I
haven't used it in awhile)

3) Your system should have booted to linux and be at the login prompt.
Login as root

4) Partition using fdisk.  Make at least a swap which should be 1.5 or 2
times the size of your system memory (in general, my opinion) and a root
partition.  This is kind of the simplest case.  Here's an example:

fdisk /dev/hda
/dev/hda1	swap	256M
/dev/hda2	/	6000M (use the rest for your / partition)

You may want to make seperate partitions for /, /usr, /home, /tmp, /var
but it takes some practice to now how big to make each in relation to a
given hard drive size and the application.  The above will work fine.

5) After you partition, (w)rite in fdisk, then type "setup" at the prompt.

6) Go through the main menu line by line.  Addswap will initialize the
swap partition.  Next you'll format your partitions and name which ones
are used as mountpoints for various places.  Then you need to choose the
source for packages, choose the CD-ROM, nowadays any IDE CD should
autodetect fine.

7) Select your packages, install them.
8) Do Post-Install Configuration
9) Reboot

Slack setup will automagically format your partitions that you created
with fdisk.  Once those are formatted then you just need to install the
packages, and you're home free.

If you want more help I'm happy to offer it, and I'm sure the other
Slackware goons would be too.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications