Yay, a new problem to fix!  :-)

"Stephen B Knewtson" <KNEWTSON at prodigy.net> wrote:

> I am trying to install Slackware 7.1 on a HP Pavillion.  I think I
> partioned the drive ok but I am having problems installing.

So what partition types/sizes did you settle on?  Is this a dual
boot system?

> I need the CDROM to install.  Unfortunately I was booting from the
> CDROM and was (apparently) unable to change disks because I guess
> it won't let go of the boot drive.

This is odd.  Can you get a "base" install from a single CD, then
add packages from the other CDROM(s) once you have the system up?
I would be surprised if two whole CDs were absolutely necessary.

> I did partion the hard-drive using fdisk though.  When I boot from
> the floppy should I be able to mount the drive?

You should at least have all the tools you will need to mount the
drive.

> I tried to mount /dev/hda1 but somehow it jumped the tracks and I
> got a 'kernel panic' message.

That is pretty intense.  What did that mount command look like?

> I also tried using the 'root disk' floppy but then I was unable
> to login, (when I give my login as 'root' it just reprompts for
> the login.)...

That's a new one on me.  I'd guess the Slack experts on the list
might know what that means.

Good luck,