On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 09:55:45AM -0500, Andrew Nemchenko wrote:
> why not just have the module load automatically use linuxconf and then simply
> use sndconfig to select the card? Thats how simple it is for me. Unless you
> are asking some thing completly different.

// if this is wrong, you should get a core dump
assert(linuxconf == evil);
// but it's not wrong, so we'll go on our merry little way.

> > SoundBlasterPro Compatible 3.01 vboice and music functions
> > ES1888
> > ISA bus
> > IRQ 5 (capture IRQ) 9 (playback IRQ)
> > DMA 0 (capture DMA) 2 (playback DMA)
> > I/O 0x220-22F (configuration registers)
> > I/O 0x288-28B (FM synthesizer)
> > I/O 0x330-331 (MPU 401)

Very standard setup.  I believe the most ES18xxx series are PCI cards,
but I'd do some checking to find out.  Firstly, run 'lspci'.  You
may see your hardware there.  If your card is ISA, then configure it
with 'pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.dump'.  Edit the isapnp.dump file and move
it to /etc/isapnp.conf.  Run 'isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf' to activate
your ISA PNP card.  Then insert your module.  Make sure you've run
'depmod -a' at some point so that your kernel knows where to find all
the modules.  Then run 'modprobe -a sb' for your sound card.

And remember, you may not actually be using the 'sb' module.  Make
sure you read the kernel documentation regarding the sound modules,
especially where ESS is concerned.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie