Andrew Nemchenko wrote:

> why not just have the module load automatically use linuxconf and then simply
> use sndconfig to select the card? Thats how simple it is for me. Unless you
> are asking some thing completly different.

Not really anything different, but...not everyone runs Red Hat. Not everyone
uses linuxconf. (linuxconf is availalbe for debian...scary man!) I could be
wrong, but we have an ISA card. I suspect an ISAPNP card. Unlike PCI-PNP
cards, Linux needs a little help to plug-n-pray ISA cards. If the card isn't
properly initlized by plug and play, he can modprobe it all he wants and set
linuxconf to automaticaly laod the drivers and it still won't work.

Then again I could be wrong and linuxconf does handle isapnp (come to think
of it maybe it does...), but I don't use linux conf, I learned to do things
"the hard way," and now linuxconf seems like "the hard way" because I'd have
to learn how to use it, and I have been forever turned off by linuxconf
since it royally hosed a couple rather important config file on me.

Enough ranting, if you have linuxconf, give it a try if you want. It might
work, I dunno. Dunno if my suggestion will work, but from the sound (or lack
there-of) of it, your isa-pnp sound card is not being initlized by the os.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126