There is nothing wrong with Java.  It is probably not an ideal first
language though.  It is an ideal OO language - very nice for business
modelling, especially in a distributed environment.

I have played with many languages over the years, starting the CBM/PET BASIC
(when I was 12 years old).  I have had a healthy interest in programming
ever since (self taught actually) and I can honestly say, that if you can
master C++, there are few other languages that will give you much trouble.
So, my recommended course of action is:

If you primarily use UNIX, learn:

Perl --> C --> C++ --> anything you feel like learning

if you use Windows primarily:

Jump right in and learn C++ - work with MFC.

Avoid playing with RAD tools like Visual Basic, PowerBuilder or Delphi or
the Visual Age products on UNIX or OS/2 until you have become proficient in
at least C or C++.  If you do, you are likely to learn too many bad habits
that you will find impossible to break.

True, you might not use C++ professionally (then again - you might - I do),
but if you truly learn it, you will become a very marketable asset.

Why do I recommend C or C++?  Simple.  You are forced to learn more abstract
concepts than any other language.  You have the ability to get very close to
the native level of programming (assembly).  You learn how do handle
pointers (and with C++, references) and manage resources, memory in
particular.  You learn how to find bugs that simply appear to be "magical"
(much like the feeling that a Video game is cheating).  Simply put, you
learn to "understand" what you are doing instead of simply doing what you
have been taught.  You learn to think [logically] about a problem and solve
it with code.

I think that in the end, it all comes down to the way you think.  If you
have a strong problem solving ability (remember the word problems in
secondary school), you will have a much easier time of it.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net