I used to program in GW Basic and Q basic and I like perl more
than Python, but that does not mean you will like it better.
But like others said, perl is a little more friendly and has
ample support on the web.
I guess it's a metter of personal preference. You can find introductory
codes on the internet which can help you make a choice.

Apu