Here's one for all the sysadmins out there (whether for home or office
systems):

My boss has now decided that 'managing procmail filters' (which is what those
lists of email addresses I asked about yesterday are for) includes creating
the email account that the procmail filters belong to.

Given the overall system this is a part of, it does make some degree of sense
to have this capability, but I am concerned about the security implications of
allowing someone to create accounts over an ftp-style connection.  And this
is part of a product intended for sale.

Which is where the sysadmins on the list come in:  What would have to be done
(and I'm willing to provide more details about what's in place and the
overall system) to convince you that this 'feature' is secure?

I'm currently thinking about the following:

- Switch in /etc to disable account creation
- Log of all accounts created
- Optional immediate email notification of accounts created to arbitrary
  address
- Use of a challenge-response validation to authorize account creation (I'd
  also appreciate any pointers to relevant books or URLs for this.  I know
  just enough about crypto to know what it is and that, if I tried writing it
  with only my current knowledge, I would produce a pretty weak
  implementation.)

Primary constraints:

- The initial server is implemented in perl
- The initial (non-telnet) client will be grafted into an existing body of C
  code
- Creation of alternate servers will be essential and is likely to be done by
  third parties, so any techniques used will need to remain secure even when
  the protocol and authentication method are well-documented
- Although it hasn't been officially approved, there is a good chance that
  I'll be able to get the server code GPLed; even if I can't, it's in perl.
  The Bad Guys will be able to look at the source.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+