On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 bob at math.umn.edu

> More that TeX is an unstructured standard.

Understandable, but that must really translate to:
	TeX is an unstructured standard that gives me headaches.
	Linux/Unix is an unstructured standard that gives me joy.
<grin>

> On a frequent basis I deal
> with people who receive Tex files they are unable to process.  Often
> this is because of different versions, missing sty files, and so forth.

Well, sure.  This would color my opinion too.

> If everyone used the _same_ TeX, then it might be as useful as HTML.  :^o

Or as perverted... ;)

> My reaction is, however, mostly emotional.  Too many unsolvable problems
> seen to have my reaction be anything but negative.

And I have never had an *unsolvable* problem.  That's not to say I've
never had annoying ones, or that I'm a whiz -- I may be doing a simple set
of things.  But the day I got LaTeX running on my laptop was beautiful --
Now I can typeset anything anywhere!

> Not, of course, that I have a good alternative in mind.  After all, my
> American prerogative is to whine.  :^)

You bet.  And in your case, I'll even listen!

Cheers,
Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math