"Gabe Turner (officer)" writes:
> Just wondering if anyone has played around with SGIs new line of their
> Visual Workstations (specifically the 230 and 330 models) running Linux.
>
> Remember when I posted awhile back about OpenGL?  Well I tried everything
> short of a commercial Xserver (e.g. Accel-X) and it seems since there are
> no OpenGL[tm] GL implementations for Linux, the commercial software
> packages we use (run on IRIX/AIX, display on Linux) don't work - they just
> exit with an error saying that they couldn't display properly because some
> OpenGL calls didn't work.
>
> Well, I'm going to see if I can get a Visual Workstation to try out, since
> they claim to come with OpenGL[tm] hardware (and drivers).
>
> Anyone have a chance to play around with them?  Any caveats?
>
> TIA,
>
> Gabe

I use a 230, but don't do any graphics programming, or even things that
push the graphics very hard.  The standard marketing info is at
    http://www.sgi.com/workstations/index.html
I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if I can...

I could possibly try running OpenGL stuff you're interested in to see
if it runs, if there are demo or test versions available.

No caveats, other than to turn off the on-board sound in the bios,
and use the PCI sound it comes with.  Running sndconfig and letting it
try to configure the on-board sound is a rather unpleasant experience.
I suppose it works fine out of the box, but the first thing I did
was to reinstall it from scratch...

Oh yea, the OpenGL driver only works with XFree 4.0, ie not with
3.3 or earlier, I think.

John Hesterberg                         email: jh at sgi.com
Technical Project Leader                phone: 651-683-5879
HPC Linux
SGI