On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Seth I. Bernsen wrote:

> Tom Cross wrote:
> >
> > I've tried on two different machine to get a Promise ATA66 IDE card and
> > ATA66 drive to work with RedHat 6.2 and haven't gotten it to work.  If you
> > aren't planning on booting with that drive, it's possible.  If you wanna
> > boot on it, good luck...
> >
> > I haven't had a chance yet to try the later 2.4.0-test kernels with the
> > Promise card.
>
> Hmm, interesting.  I actually have a second HD on a local IDE chain from
> which I boot.  You say you have gotten the ATA66 to work with RH as a
> non-boot device?  Any details?  Thanks.

Boot with Promise card installed.

Look in /proc/pci, look for Promise IDE controller.

Then take one of the addresses (I can never remember which one, mine has
FIVE) and try:

lilo:  linux ide2=0x0000

where 0x0000 is the address that you enter at lilo/boot time.  Once you
get one that works you can add it as an append line in /etc/lilo.conf

However, my problem is that when I try to make the promise card ide0, it
keeps moving the address around and won't boot.  :(

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc at kendeco.com
Airgas Kendeco Tool Crib                        http://www.kendeco.com
       --> Now with new and improved extension number 207!!! <--
        St Cloud Area Linux Users Group: http://www.scalug.org