I wouldn't use granitecanyon. I've had nothing but problems on and off for
the last 6 months. I've had very good luck with www.centralinfo.net however.
They offer free secondary services.

The other thing I've been considering for "low-end" domain hosting is to
just use register.com as the authoritative DNS server. If you register the
domain through register.com, I believe the DNS hosting is free, with a web
interface to edit records, etc.

Kevin