Well, you can take your chances, but if you're going to be running a more
high-profile domain, you should go colo.  That way you can run whatever you
want (though make sure it's secure or the ISP you're colocating with won't
be too happy :)

Gabe

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:04:16AM -0700, isla0005 at tc.umn.edu wrote:

> I am wondering how picky the Cable guys can get..
> I am running the server for a little while with few of my friends
> as users logged in most of the time. We are not doing any spamming
> or mp3 upload/downloads or warez. Mostly running math apps.
>
> A good question comes in when I send mail to over thousands of
> people. I maintain a list and send emails with updates in every
> two/three months to all these folks. I use perl & sendmail to
> get it done. Will there be any problem in future doing this ?
> this is not spamming by definition as these people chose to recive
> emails. Can the cable company shut me down for this?
>

> Apu

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Let's take a closer look, shall we?  What's this?  AHHH!  An ingrowned
 dunclaw!  Disqualified!!!!  Take him away!" -- Judge
"YOW!!  I spent months pushing in that dunclaw!!" -- George Liquor
				- Stimpy fails George Liquor in "Dog Show"