isla0005 at tc.umn.edu said:
> I am wondering how picky the Cable guys can get..
> I am running the server for a little while with few of my friends
> as users logged in most of the time. We are not doing any spamming
> or mp3 upload/downloads or warez. Mostly running math apps.

Although they'd probably be upset about any complaints, I suspect that their
main concern is bandwidth usage.  You're presumably being charged a
'residential connection' rate, so they could conceivably object to anything
that doesn't fit within (their idea of) normal 'residential' usage.

> A good question comes in when I send mail to over thousands of
> people. I maintain a list and send emails with updates in every
> two/three months to all these folks. I use perl & sendmail to
> get it done. Will there be any problem in future doing this ?

If they have any automated anti-spam monitoring in place, this would have a
good chance of being caught by it.

> this is not spamming by definition as these people chose to recive
> emails. Can the cable company shut me down for this?

If you read the fine print, they can probably shut you down for anything they
want.  I suggest that you check with them (and also with your ISP if that's
not your cable company) before doing anything involving setting up pulically-
available services or bulk emailing.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+