On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:01:07AM -0500, Sielaff, Bruce wrote:
> Unfortunately, that didn't do it.  It is still only seeing about 13MB.  The
> BIOS check prior to booting does show 80MB, but for some reason isn't seeing
> all of it.

Well actually, linux is seeing about 15 Megs.  From your previous message:

> from /var/logs/dmesg:
> Memory: 13336K/15360K available (1080K kernel code, 412K reserved, 468K
> data, 64K init, 0K bigmem)

The 13336K is the amount that will available to user processes, and
15360K is the total amount of memory seen by Linux (the difference
is used by the various areas mentioned in parenthesis).

It is especially odd that 15 Megs is seen -  I would expect a power
2 Megs of memory to be seen if it were Bios problems.  I have got a
486 with 16 Megs that gives:
dmesg:Memory: 14740k/16384k available (848k kernel code, 408k reserved, 360k data, 28k init)

> I tried reversing the order of the SIMS, I tried removing the 8MB SIMs and
> only using the 32MB SIMs, but nothing changed.  Just prior to installing
> linux, I had Windows NT running on the box and it claimed to see 77MB during
> bootup.

I would also try pulling out the 32 Meg SIMMs and seeing what happens.
Note exactly what the memory line from dmesg says (did you note what it
said when you pulled the 8 Meg SIMMs?).

It could also be that some of the memory is going bad, and Linux is pickier
about it than NT.  Try using memtest (its probably installed by default
with Red Hat).  I haven't used it much myself, but take a look at
'man memtest' - it seems pretty easy to use.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |