> Wouldn't Sendmail accept the mail locally, regardless of the MX, if the
> domain is in it's cW?

I totally forgot about that. Here's the setup:

Clients use local server "server" as pop/imap/smtp server. This machine
has sendmail.cw with hearingsociety.org in it to it accepts mail for that
domain. Does this mean that dns shouldn't accept anything (assuming server
can be resolved to 192.168.1.1?) What I'm trying to understand is why when
I took down the ppp0 link (which wasn't working) so there would be no
outside route to the internet and hopefully dns would fail quickly --
something, maybe dns was very slow and users sending mail to server:25 was
very slow. Shuttind down named spend things up a lot (I'm guess that the
win95 clients cached server->192.168.1.1), but no internal mail messages
were being delivered even when I did a sendmail -q -- adding
hearingsociety.org into /etc/hosts fixed the problem. I don't really
understand it, except that it works when the link is up, but I'd like some
internal tolerance to looking our internet connection.

> I thought the logic was something like, it does some address munging
> in S3 and then decides what mailer to use based on the domain.  Only
> if the mailer comes up as SMTP or ESMTP (not local) then it will do
> the MX lookup to find out where to send it.  If it's a local domain
> (in sendmail.cw or the W class in the sendmail.cf) it should just
> deliver it locally without DNS.

I think that is how I set it up -- sendmail accepts mail for hearing.org
and hearingsociety.org (I assume doing local delivery since it is in the
sendmail.cw) and relays for address in our intranet. Or so I thought until
these weird slow downs and queueing but not delivering when the link went
down. (slow down not from cpu or memory, I checked)

Thanks,

Ben